Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 178

Today I had a good flight with one of our DPEs again, Bill Corcoran. He signed my new temp certificate, this time with a commercial single engine land add-on. The oral was pretty short, during the flight we did the obligatory slow flight and stalls, eights on pylons, lazy eights (he then demonstrated his version, which he appropriately calls the "crazy eights"), chandelles, a short field landing and finally the dreaded power off 180. Got lucky on that last one, during the entire maneuver I thought I wasn't going to make the runway, but touched down right on the 1000' markers.

I got my private in a Katana (Diamond Da-20), so I've never flown a Cessna before. It took me about 8 hrs of flight time to get comfortable in the plane and proficient enough to do the commercial maneuvers. After flying the duchess for so long the cessna feels like a toy tossed about in the wind (you actually have to use the rudder!)

The instructor class continues. Not very exciting to be honest, since we are now flying less and less, while keeping our noses in books more and more. To break the boredom I want to drive to Sun'n'Fun this saturday, it's in Lakeland, about an hour drive. As far as I know, the two biggest air shows in the US are Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun. Anyways, I'll try to post some pictures next week.



2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed your blog! Thank you for getting the info out. How have things been going? What are you finding with regard to job options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denys!
    Your blog is really interesting. I am planning to attend aviator next august and i would really like to know more about your experience there! Please keep the post comming!

    ReplyDelete